Friday, September 10, 2010

spread sheet assignment

I took the student sheet & made a table. I hide the test scores 1-5. I had the computer figure out the student average & class average by highlighting the column or row and using the given formula. I found the mode, median, & average by highlighting the table information and using the appropriate formula. I was able to change the color of a selected area. I was able to change the size of the text and make it bold. I was also able to resize the columns. I looked at the student averages for tests 6-10 and took those students names and test information and created another table. I took the test scores from tests 6-10 and created a line graph, using the insert graph wizard. From there I was able to add the test scores, title, tests numbers, and range.  
The graph makes it easier to see how students are doing overall based test scores in this example. By this graph you can see that many of the students are below average, but their test scores are getting better with each test. There are the few exceptions like with Katherine (green) who increases with her performance and then takes a serious decrease again. Then she is steadily increasing again with the test scores.

As a teacher looking at this, since you can see that most of your students are improving you know how you are teaching is getting through to them. Now you have to see how you can teach to make it better, since a good portion of your students below the class average. It is time to really engage your students into the content that you are trying to have them learn.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the meticulously describing the procedure you used to parse out the required data, analyze, chart, and reflect upon.

    ReplyDelete