Saturday, September 25, 2010

OTEN Conference

The 2010 OTEN Conference was held at Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon. The keynote speaker (Tim Lauer) spoke on technology through the years. Technology has changed a great deal between 1960 and now. He reviewed some of the computers that have been replaced with newer models. Internet is a way to expand and bring resources into the classroom. The internet is a powerful tool that can connect people. Students should be able to publish on the web and share their stories.

While I was at the conference I attended 2 sessions on technology in the classroom. The first session talked about the use of videos in a classroom. Jason Niedermeyer went over how to make compilation of video clips that look nice to show to your students. He also talked about using certain movies in a Science classroom. He let us know that it is all about the set up and that students are programed to watch TV & it is apart of their interest. Jason also went over grant money. If you want grant money, think of an idea and write a proposal. You can use the same write up to get grant money all you have to do is tweak the proposal.

The second session that I attended was World of Warcraft. Suzette Lewis talked about using gaming in a Math classroom. She is still in the research stage of this process. The gaming would be computer games that would allow students to potentially work as a team, problem solve, and at the same time may build up self esteem.

In my classroom, I see myself using technology in the classroom. I won't be able to say what technology that I will be using until I am actually in the classroom teaching. I have to see what I have to work with and what I want to build on over my teaching career.

1 comment:

  1. Who would imagine that World of Warcraft might be an effective and appropriate use of integrating technology into the classroom to improve instruction and/or enhance learning. Yes, it will be interesting to see how her research moves forward.

    ReplyDelete