Monday, August 30, 2010

My Favorite Web 2.0 tools

Web 2.0 tools are web platform in which software and files can be accessed any time and anywhere. Some of thee tools are free and some have a small fee, it depends on what package you are looking for and what you want in your product.

In the personal productivity category I chose 4shared. 4shared is a potentially free online storage area for docs, videos, and photos. They have a premium package that includes downloading for an additional fee. The site allows you to have up to 5GB of storage space that you can make either public or private.You can provide links or embed pictures, docs, or videos into web pages and blogs. You are able to rename files, access the URL, see picture dimensions, add comments,and add to favorites.Teachers are able to upload and store lesson plans and projects. If the teach allows it the students would be able to access this information. picture on 4shared: http://www.4shared.com/photo/O6_c7GCj/IMG_0010.html

In my classroom, I could upload pictures for my students to look at. When they are done looking at them, have them comment on the pictures. I can go back to the site and review their comments. I could also have them copy the picture and place it in their own document and have them write a description of what the picture is about and have them present it to the class.

In the screen recorders category, I chose Tokbox. Tokbox is a tool that allows you to use audio and video for communication. You do need to have a web cam and microphone to use this application. It utilizes the adobe flash, so you don't have to buy any additional software. It allows you to send streaming video e-mail, post an interview or resume, give a speech, and host video conference.

In the classroom, I could have my students record a presentation and then play it back to the class. This tool would be helpful if students are sick and/or injured. I could either record my lecture or they could video conference in and listen to what was going on. This would be a way for them to participate if they couldn't be there. It would also be helpful to students that were gone on school activities, so they don't miss class. Students could use this application to communicate between each other without using up their cell phone minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite sure you will wish to share the above tools with your husband. He could use these in some very creative ways in speech and communication.

    ReplyDelete